History

The Faculty of Architecture, Tadeusz Kosciuszko Cracow University of Technology is one of seven Faculties at this University which also educates students at the Faculties of:

• Civil Engineering
• Chemical Engineering and Technology
• Environmental Engineering
• Mechanical Engineering
• Electrical and Computer Engineering
• Technical Physics

Krakow’s Faculty of Architecture is one of the faculties which jointly created this University. The beginnings of the brand new university were facilitated by the Polytechnic Faculties of the Academy of Mining appointed by a governmental decree on November 19, 1945. In 1954, they were transformed into an independent unit – Cracow University of Technology. The Faculty of Architecture, playing an important role in the formation of the new university, began its activities, in an informal manner at first. In January 1945, the Organizational Committee for the Polytechnic University in Krakow was appointed under the leadership of Izydor Stella-Sawicki, Professor at the Academy of Mining. In February 1945, registration was proclaimed for architecture students; in May, the first semiofficial selective examination took place in the atmosphere of the architecture of Wawel’s courtyard.

In fact, the tradition of architectural university education in Krakow began much earlier. The city, playing the role of the cultural centre of the country for centuries, has always had very special spiritual atmosphere which – in combination with the unique values of the achievements of material culture – produced conditions conducive to the development of architectural thinking. It would be difficult to imagine a more appropriate place for this in Poland.

The first form of architectural education was teaching at building guilds. However, in the 17th century, architecture and mechanics were lectured as sciences at Cracow Academy (Jagiellonian University) by a professor of mathematics, Jan Brożek. In the 18th century, civil and military architecture was lectured at Cracow Academy. Starting from the 19th century, this discipline was taught at the Faculty of Philosophy, Cracow Academy. In the 19th century, lectures on construction and architecture, then also the history of architecture and design were delivered at the Faculty of Fine Arts. Architectural education also proceeded from 1934 at the nonacademic Technical Institute renamed as the Industrial and Artistic School later on.

In the interwar period, two schools with an architectural profile worked in Krakow: the Faculty of Architecture, Academy of Fine Arts, liquidated in 1927, and the abovementioned trade Industrial and Artistic School with its strong constructional and architectural curriculum. Both schools employed great creators from Krakow whose structures can be found in catalogues of architectural works, including Professors Adolf Szyszko-Bohusz, Józef Gałęzowski, Sławomir  Odrzywolski, Władysław Ekielski or Franciszek Mączyński.

The contemporary Faculty of Architecture, Cracow University of Technology has an excellent staff of academic teachers, including some outstanding creators known in the country as well as abroad. The academic community is formed by more than two thousand students learning in the system of full-time and part-time studies.

Krakow’s Faculty has extensive contacts all over the world. It maintains scientific cooperation and exchange of academic teachers and student groups with renowned foreign universities and architectural communities.

Professors from universities in Delft, Venice, Milan and Turin, London, Edinburgh, Oxford and Plymouth, Manchester, Madrid and Barcelona, Berlin, Brunshvik, Munster, Trier and Weimar, Paris, Vienna and Graz as well as the USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea and Australia deliver their lectures in the halls of this Faculty.

For the FA CUT, the years to come mean constant evolution and modernization of its teaching programme being adjusted to the latest trends, needs and conditions.

It will be also a period of modernizing the educational objects, first of all the building given to our Faculty by the University authorities – the famous “Officer Cadet School” whose foundations still include some relics of this once grand summer royal residence at Łobzów.

The CUT Faculty of Architecture is one out of three  architectural universities which have full academic rights: it offers full- and part-time five-year Master’s studies and postgraduate studies. It has the licence to supervise Ph.D. and D.Sc. programmes.

For years, the CUT Faculty of Architecture has maintained rewarding scientific and educational cooperation with a number of architectural universities and centres across the world. Young people from the USA, Spain, Italy, Great Britain, Germany, Finland, Canada and some developing countries study at the Faculty.

Within the entire period of the existence of the CUT Faculty of Architecture, more than 5,400 people completed their studies receiving the diploma of a Master of Science Architect. Its educational  potential developed significantly. More than 300 Ph.D. dissertations and more than 100 D.Sc. dissertations were defended at the Faculty of Architecture.

At present, nearly 2,000 people learn at five-year Master’s studies. Around one hundred attend postgraduate studies. The teaching staff includes 212 employees – 36 independent science workers (including 8 full professors, 6 titular professors, 16 associate professors and 6 doctors of science), 94 teachers, 65 assistants and 17 lecturers.

The lecturers at the CUT Faculty of Architecture include professors from foreign universities as well as some outstanding creators.

Since 2000, the Faculty of Architecture had had accreditation from the Royal Institute of British Architects.

In May 2003, Krakow’s Faculty of Architecture also received accreditation for five years from the Polish Accreditation Committee for Technical Universities. In the field of education, the Faculty of Architecture updates its teaching programme so as to adjust it to the needs of the labour market as well as the formal and material requirements of the European Union remembering to maintain the distinctness and specificity of the Krakow School of Architecture. For this purpose, a credit point system – responding to the standards of the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) – has been introduced.

The objectives of this credit point system are as follows:

– to make it possible to recognize studying periods between universities,
– to make foreign cooperation and exchange easier,
– to create a flexible studying system,
– to simplify student registration.

Owing to extensive foreign contacts and an attractive teaching programme, the International Programme of educating foreign students in English develops dynamically within educational classes at the Faculty of Architecture. Students from American universities and those from Western Europe take part in it. Polish students participate in this programme as well.

Postgraduate studies are realized, too.

For years, the Faculty of Architecture has been cooperating with a number of foreign universities, including the Faculties of Architecture at the following Universities and Polytechnics: in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA; Munster and Cottbus, Germany; Delft, Netherlands; Plymouth, London, Glasgow and Manchester, Great Britain; Madrid and Barcelona, Spain; Turin, Rome, Venice and Florence, Italy; Paris and Nancy, France; Alexandria, Budapest, Lviv and many others. Out of more than 2,000 students educated at the FA CUT every year, over eighty go to semester studies at numerous universities in Western Europe within the SOCRATES programme during the academic year.

The Faculty has a top-class scientific staff – almost 50 independent science employees locate it at the first position among the Faculties of Architecture in Poland. The Professors of the Faculty of Architecture are outstanding specialists in the domain of architecture and urban design, spatial planning, monument restoration and landscape architecture – both in the field of theory and practice, they boast of serious achievements within implementation as well as practical professional experience.

Apart from the traditional direction of teaching architects realized since 1945 and preparing the students for the profession of an architect and an urbanist at the curriculum Architecture and Urban Design, the CUT Faculty of Architecture has been educating students within the newly formed curriculum Landscape Architecture since the academic year 2000/2001.

 

publication date: 09-07-2014    edit: 09-03-2015